Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The promise to post some recipes :-)

Ok, I've been a little lazy at this blog. But it doesn't surprise me. I'm really not the best at these kind of things...just like journals....boy would I love to be a good journal'er'. I think I have 6 or so 'barely started' journals. Oh well.
Thanks for the push once again.

I can't just post the recipes. I have to explain why I use certain ingredients.
I have gone gluten free for the most part for many reasons. Because of our toxic bodies, most of us have gluten 'intolerance'. It is amazing how many symptoms in people go away when they eliminate gluten. And it is in SO much and hidden in so many sauces etc that we wouldn't even think.
I have cut out pretty much all REFINED sugar. It is absolutely no good and has only bad effects on our bodies. It creates a huge rise in blood sugar, feeds parasites (we all have them to some extent), feeds yeast (a growing problem for most people), and feeds cancer cells, bad cells. No good.
When I see my Dr's for my illness, my question to them is always, so what should my diet be? There are so many who will say eat this or that to heal chronic illness. My doctors have seen that the only thing that seems to be necessary for ALL people (many have allergies and have to avoid certain foods..dairy etc and) is to AVOID Refined sugar. There are many sugars on the market today that are Not Refined such as Cane Sugar, evaporated cane juice, brown rice syrup, agave, even processed honey etc etc etc. People ask, why don't you use those?
Well,while they are healthier, they are still doing what white refined sugar does to your body. I find that it makes sense to avoid anything that makes your blood sugar rise, and anything that feeds the bad things in my body. Even the 'healthy body' has plenty of bad things in it to feed.
I hope this makes sense.

With all my research, I have found two NATURAL sugars that are VERY low on the Glycemic index (google it, if you want more info). This means very basically that it doesn't do anything to your blood sugar levels! They also don't feed the bad stuff! PERFECT!
Xylitol and Coconut Palm Sugar.
The original Xylitol, (with a glycemic index of 7) which I use, is made from the birch tree sap. It has been used as sugar for 50+ years. There is now Xylitol in the stores made from Corn sap. While I think it's still an ok product, I am informed of our CORN problem in the US, so I avoid Xylitol made with corn unless I am out of the GOOD stuff and have to. This sugar also has benefits besides sweetening. It is an antifungal/ antibacterial by nature!!It is good for your gut! (and your teeth)
The other is Coconut Palm Sugar. It is made from Coconut sap. (glycemic index of ~35) It is like brown sugar.
Depending on the recipe, I use one over another or sometimes both.
Coconut sugar is more like brown sugar and Xylitol is more like white sugar. Beware though XYLITOL doesn't melt like sugar so if you do use it as a substitute there are a few tricks. If you aren't up for learning the tricks right now, either follow my recipes and don't experiment or safely try coconut palm sugar, which does melt.
These natural sugars are not like Splenda or other artificial sugars. They are truly 'healthy' for you. I won't explain why artificial sweeteners are bad. Not now.

I use Cold pressed Extra virgin Coconut Oil for EVERYTHING. We put it in our shakes, we cook with it, bake with it. Mark has no problem just taking a spoon full for the health benefits. It is the most healthy oil and it has all the properties our body needs for healthy fat (yes,our bodies NEED fat). It is the ONLY oil that doesn't go rancid when heated. Never heat other oils....and eat them. It is not good for you. Extra virgin Olive oil is awesome for eating cold, on salads etc, but using it for cooking or baking is not good. (I speak in fact,but note: it's just what I believe from my research)
People ask what about eggs. If you don't want to use eggs, use a substitute or flax seed meal. It is a replacement for eggs in recipes. In some it does give a little bit of a nutty flavor but not in all recipes.

Ok, I think I covered it all. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I think it is necessary for you to know why I choose what I do.

Because I don't have all the time in the world and don't want to figure out my own mix of gluten free flour, I use a brand I like called "Pamela's". "Gluten-free Pantry' is also good, but I like 'Pamela's' a bit more. My muffin recipe is pretty much what she has on the 'Baking and Pancake mix' package for 'Muffins". (See, I'm really not THAT good, tehe)- I just change the sugars and oils(butter)!

Banana nut or other mix in muffins
1 1/4 cup Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Xylitol
1/4 cup Walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup Bananas (or peaches, berries etc.)
1 egg (Large)
1 tsp Vanilla

Mix it all together (hand mixer), it will seem not as liquidy as you are used to with other recipes, its ok...fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
350' for 18 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
You could do chocolate chip muffins with this too. (but watch! most have refined sugar. There are grain sweetened chocolate chips)


Zucchini Nut
2 cups of Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (packed)
2 eggs, large
2 cups grated Zucchini
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup xylitol
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil

Grate Zucchini. Reduce moisture by squeezing grated zucchini in paper towels. Set aside.
Whisk together flour mix, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil and sugar for one minute on medium. Stir in Vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix together. Fold in grated zucchini and nuts. Spoon in greased or muffins tin lined pan. 2/3 full. Bake 350' for 30 minutes or until fork is clean.

You will pay more for these 'sugars' and to use the gluten free mix. At first it may seem like a LOT more. Then you realize what you are eating is delicious and so much better for you than the $1.50 a muffin you have at starbucks (just an example) and that if you give up eating (or 'treating')out, it's not any more.
And by the way, once you have this mix up above, you will have access to tons of recipes. Just substitute the sugars!!!

If you need any help with this, I would fill up another 6 posting pages to write all the questions you may have. So email me or comment below and I will help you!
If you need help finding the ingredients, I will help!
It is my passion! You aren't bothering me.
Here's to better health (even by feeding your sweet tooth) for everyone!
Love, Melanie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Melanie! What store do you shop at to get the products? I haven't looked for them yet but just wondering if you have to go to specialty stores? Thanks really for sharing your wisdom from all your hard work and research from your own personal journey. I continue to pray for good health for you! :-)

    Caryn Brown

    ReplyDelete